Tuesday, February 7

Treat Box Tutorial for Parties

Today I'm sharing one of my favorite party tricks. See, I have this problem.... I love a gorgeous party but don't always have the budget to buy everything I think I need. That's when I put my little mind to work to come up with a solution on the cheap. 

I'm sure you've seen the adorable polka dot and stripe treat cups and favor bags sold at so many of the party vendors these days. They add so much style to a party table with their vibrant colors and geometric patterns. But sometimes paying $7.95 plus $5.00 in shipping for 20 bags leads me to look elsewhere.

And that's where the Dollar Tree comes in! My, my how we party girls LOVE the Dollar Tree! One day, shopping on the wedding aisle, I spotted some white favor boxes. I think they come in packages of 12 for $1.00. Not loving the handles, I just decided to cut those off and create some small treat boxes with them. Here's how I did it.

SUPPLIES:
- Package of white favor boxes from the Dollar Tree (wedding aisle)
- Scissors
- Scotch Tape
- Heart cut outs (I used the ones from Shindig's Valentines Printables set)
- Hot glue gun
- Scrapbook paper or the printable papers from Amanda's Parties To Go's party collections

STEP 1: First you'll need to chop off those handles with some scissors.
STEP 2: Then you'll need to assemble the boxes... very easy
STEP 3: Using decorative scissors (mine are Fiskars cloud scissors... I LOVE THEM!), cut down the edge of one sheet of paper
STEP 4: Line up the decorative cut edge of your paper just above the top of your box and measure and mark where you'll need to cut the paper to fit at the bottom of the box.


STEP 5: Cut the paper where you placed your mark so that your paper will fit your box
STEP 6: Tape one edge of your paper to your box and then wrap the paper around the box, creasing at each edge
STEP 7: Once your box is covered, cut your paper to fit the last side of the box.
STEP 8: Tape the paper to secure.


If you'd like you can add a heart cut out to the front of the box for Valentines Day. Now you've got a super cute favor box to fill with candies, popcorn, cookies, or snack mix.


I filled mine with popcorn, Valentines candy corn and Valentine M&M's.
M&M's make everything better!



And for my party table, I attached one of the heart cut-outs from the Valentines Collection with some sweet red and white baker's twine. To add a fun element to the heart, I cut down a white coffee stirrer straw (or you could use a lollipop stick or toothpick) and punched the heart with a small hole punch to thread the straw through. Then I hot glued on an arrow point and tail that I cut from red cardstock to complete the look.




I hope you love them!


You can find the Valentines Party Printables set in my shop for only $9.00!

14 comments:

Kristin said...

Love your cleverness!

Kellie said...

cute, cute, cute! Thanks so much :)

Kate said...

Can you BE any more of a genius!?!? I bought those one time and never ended up using them b/c I didn't like them. Never dreamed of dressing them up! Why didn't I think of that?!?!!? lol You have such a clever mind. :)

Platinum Touch Events said...

The Dollar Tree is a life saver when it comes to planning a party on a budget! I love how you took something so plain and turned it into something so fab! So creative...I love it!

Katalina Jewelry said...

Thanks for sharing how to make these adorable treat boxes!

Crafts a la Mode said...

Super cute! I'm "pinning" these so I can get back here to the original post whenever I want. Thanks, so much.

Linda

http://twosucculentsisters.blogspot.com/

Colette said...

So adorable, and so smart

TidyMom said...

adorable, as always!

Thanks for linking up! I featured your post in my wrap up http://tidymom.net/2012/valentine-treats-and-boxes/
Have a great rest of the weekend

Unknown said...

This is soooooo cute! Would love it if you came by and linked up to my Manic Monday Linky Party!
-Melissa
http://serendipityandspice.blogspot.com

Nakia said...

I love these boxes! They are so cute!

Plates said...

This is extremely cute!!! Love it!!! :D

Jennifer said...

Hello, I just wanted to let you know that I have mentioned your post on my blog, eatcraftsow.blogspot.com.au. If there is anything you wish for me to remove please let me know. Cheers Jennifer

Wilson Kuek said...

Great website. Thank you very much. 1.0
Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks

Wilson Kuek said...


Great website. Thank you very much. 2.0
Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks , Thanks