Tuesday, December 6

Christmas Candy Trees {Tutorial}

Pin It
 Did you notice the sweet candy and eyelet trees on Amanda's Parties To Go's Candy Christmas party table?

Those were a quick DIY project and best of all, if stored well,
will keep to use for a few Christmas seasons to come.

 
Making topiary trees is so easy but can sometimes be expensive if you buy the cone styrofoam forms. 
To save that added expense, I decided to create my own cones from poster board. 
This is a simple project, especially if you have a pre-made cone at home. 

Here's what you'll need:
- Cone form (I used some Christmas cones that I purchased at Walmart a few years back)
- Plastic toy cone from the Dollar Tree (used as a water toy)
- White poster board
- Hot glue, scissors, pen, tape
- Peppermint candy (I purchased a large size bag at Sams)
- Eyelet
- Cherry fruit slices (Walmart)

 I used the red cone I already had on hand to make my taller cone and then used a Dollar Tree plastic toy that has a cone shape for the smaller topiary form. Because this form was to hold lots of candy, I kept the plastic form inside the poster board cover I made for it.

For the larger cone, however, I removed the red cone and just left the poster board since it would only be holding the eyelet and a small amount of candy.

To make the larger cone:
1. Roll the poster board around the cone to make sure it will fit properly.

2. Unroll and then mark the bottom of your cone onto the poster board with a pen as you roll up again to create a template to cut your cone from.

3. Cut out the cone shape from the poster board.

4. Roll your cut poster board cone around your cone form, tape with scotch tape to secure and then remove the cone form to leave only the poster board cone.


To make the smaller cone: (follow the same basic instructions as above)
1. Roll the poster board around the cone to make sure it will fit properly.

2. Unroll and then mark the bottom of your cone onto the poster board with a pen as you roll up again to create a template to cut your cone from.

3. Cut out the cone shape from the poster board.

4. Roll your cut poster board cone around your cone form, tape with scotch tape to secure and then remove the cone form to leave only the poster board cone. 


It's time for candy!
1. Using your small cone with the plastic toy cone inside for support, you're now ready for adding candy.

2. Gather candies together and unwrap if needed. 

3. Using hot glue, place eyelet around the bottom of the cone form and glue to secure. Then alternating glueing rows of peppermints with rows of fruit slices (or whatever candies you choose).

4. Keep glueing candies until you reach the top of the topiary.

 You're done!
I placed mine on a thrift store candlestick painted white and
added a saucer on top to support the candy topiary.


For the eyelet tree, follow the same basic instructions as the candy tree, just using rows of eyelet and peppermint instead of all candies.


Aren't they pretty on the table?
I just love topiaries for the holidays because they can be used just about anywhere from a mantel to a kitchen display, a party table or even a bathroom decoration.

I hope you all will make your own candy topiaries!

12 comments:

Kristin said...

You make it look so divine! Thank you for sharing.

Chrissy @ The Outlaw Mom Blog said...

Beautiful! I really love your backdrop with the frames, too!

Anonymous said...

My 10 year old daughter just made 2. She's hoping for a tutorial on the styrofoam lollipops and mints. Thanks

patti west said...

I recently made some red yarn trees and thought white eyelet trees w/red ribbon would be so pretty. I never would've thought to add the peppermints! Your trees and dessert table are gorgeous!! Thanks for the inspiration. :)

Sally said...

I LOVE how these turned out! It looks so festive...thanks for sharing! I'm your newest follower from the craftomaniac party. If you get a chance, I'd love you to stop by my blog & maybe follow along too!
Sally
loveofhomes.blogspot.com

Melissa @ LoveBugLiving said...

Beautiful display! Love the candy frames too!

Katalina Jewelry said...

Adorable display! Love all the party ideas on your blog...I'm now following!

Ruby Jean said...

WOW!!! what a spread... I REALLY love that eyelet and peppermint tree... So very girly.... I would love for you to share it here http://shoprubyjean.com/2011/12/sew-crafty-tuesday-linky-party1/

Jenna said...

wow so great. i need to refer to this when i do my future christmas decorating! :)

itsjustcalledspicy.blogspot.com

marissa said...

these are absolutely gorgeous. You're blog is fantastic I'd love you to add them to my What We Wore and Made Party over at http://raegunwear.blogspot.com/search/label/WWWMW

Ashley @ A {Blonde's} DIY Life said...

I just love your trees!! Fabulous!!
I would love it if you shared this at my party!
http://ablondesdiylife.blogspot.com/2011/12/come-party-with-blonde-features.html

Linda said...

I love these trees and hope you will post a link to my Show It Off Thursdays party at:

http://ornamentplace.com/?p=1140

Thanks, Linda