Monday, June 6

Father's Day Cupcakes: Maple Bacon, that is!



Photobucket

There's been great response to the FREEBIE Father's Day Printables Set I released yesterday. I'm so glad everyone is enjoying the set and getting ready to surprise Dad. Now for that recipe I told you about.... MAPLE BACON CUPCAKES. Yes, that's right.... Bacon Cupcakes!

We're talking men here, girls! What man doesn't love bacon? Truth be told, this was actually my husband's idea. And let me just tell you.... party stylist he IS NOT, so I was pretty impressed with his creativity.  I have to say, they tasted pretty good, too, although I also have to admit, if it's got sugar in it I'm all over it and not too picky. But as a little novelty for Father's Day, I think they make a cute "manly" treat.

Photobucket

I adapted the recipe from one I found on Taste of Home. They are a bit of a cross between a corn muffin and cupcake and I sort of liked the sweet and salty mixture.

Photobucket

So are you ready to make those cupcakes for your #1 Man?

Photobucket

Here's what you'll need:

Maple Bacon Cupcakes
4 1/2 tablespoons of butter room temperature
1/2 tablespoon of bacon drippings (left in the refrigerator to solidify)
1 egg
5 tablespoons of brown sugar
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/4 cup of self-rising flour
1 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- Small pinch of salt
1/4 cup of milk
1/2 cup of cooked and crumbled bacon

Maple Frosting
- 4 tablespoons of butter 
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup 
- 1 cup of powdered sugar turbinado sugar (optional but recommended) 
- Coarse grain sea salt (optional but recommended)


Photobucket

Step 1: Cream butter and solidified bacon drippings together.


Photobucket

Step 2: Add the brown sugar and maple syrup and beat again until creamy.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Step 3: Add the egg and beat until combined.


Photobucket

Step 4: Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together and then add some of the flour to the wet mixture. Stir the flour in and then add a little of the milk and stir it in. 

Photobucket

Step 5: Keep alternating stirring in flour and then milk, ending with flour. Mix just until combined and then fold half of the bacon pieces.



Photobucket

Step 6: Spoon the batter into baking cups.


Photobucket



Step 7: Place in oven at 350 degrees and bake for 16-19 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Recipe will make about 12 cupcakes.


Photobucket

Step 8: Mix your maple frosting ingredients together and then frost your cooled cupcakes. Add the remaining bacon pieces on top.

Yum! They look sort of pretty, don't you think? Or maybe my husband's love for bacon has rubbed off on me after all these years.

Photobucket

And don't forget to download your FREE FATHER'S DAY PRINTABLES HERE. There's a banner, tags, cupcake toppers and centerpieces all for your TIE-riffic dad, Step-dad or Granddad. Yep, I included some designs for all three so you can cover all of your Father's Day bases. 

Let's celebrate all the men in our lives and make them feel just a bit special if only for a day. We all know the next day it's "back to normal" and we'll be nagging them to pick up their dirty clothes and take out the trash!

Y'all have a great day!

Linking up to: Sumo's Sweet StuffCraftomaniacTater Tots and JelloSkip to my LouUnder the Table and DreamingSomeday Crafts,  Somewhat SimpleTidy MomRomantic HomeShabby Nest Finding Fabulous Be Different Act NormalToday's Creative BlogTip JunkieThe Idea RoomC.R.A.F.T. Today's Creative BlogBetween Naps on the Porch,Tea Rose HomeThe Shabby Chic CottageWhipperberryBeyond the Picket FenceMad in CraftsSugar Bee Crafts, Savvy Southern Style
Photobucket

34 comments:

Scattered Brain said...

Thank you for the recipe. I'm thinking Yuck, but my hubby might LOVE these. Gonna try it out

JC's Loft said...

What creative printables Amanda!! I love them :)

Paula

CBH said...

Thank you so much for this post. I want to let you know that I posted a link to your blog in CBH Digital Scrapbooking Freebies, under the Page 4 post on Jun. 07, 2011. Thanks again.

Tam said...

Hi I love the tie printable, thanks for sharing I plan on using it as a gift tag for my guyish crafts and to make my candy bouquets more man friendly.

Karin said...

I love this idea!
I want to make the cupcakes ahead of time, can I freeze them and frost the day of?

Laura Lowe said...

Hi, following from the Wandering Wednesday Hop! Hope you'll visit me at http://everythingbeautifulinitstime.com! Those cupcakes look really good!

Amanda at Shindig said...

Hi Karin,

I don't see why not -- sure, give it a try!

adventuresindinner said...

Admittedly, you had me at bacon. Great blog! So glad that you linked to shabbynest.

adventuresindinner said...

P.S. would love to follow but blogger is very unhappy right now. Pop by my corner and I'll try again.

Ashley said...

thanks for the recipe! these look fun:) the printables are so cute!!!!

Simple Girl said...

Maple and Bacon? Sounds like breakfast! :-)

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

This looks fab! I will have to make this for father's day.

It's a Friday's Favorite for sure :-)

Allison @ Alli 'n Son said...

My husband would go crazy for these! I know what I'm making for Father's day.

I'd like to invite you to share this recipe on my weekly link-up, Sweet Tooth Friday. I hope to see you there. http://alli-n-son.com/2011/06/09/key-lime-strawberry-shortcake/

Heather said...

Well I really like the taste of maple and bacon together but I have to say I am a little hesitant to try these. They do look really pretty though. Very interesting idea.

Thanks BTW for the free printables. Very Cute

Natalie said...

Forget Father's Day...I'm going to make these for myself. Yum! The printables are fantastic; thank you. I found your blog through TT&J and it's excellent. :)

The Mommy Chronicles said...

Love this for fathers day after seeing it st Tt&j so Mich so its a featured link for working it out weekend at http://mommydomchronicles.blogspot.com. come by & grab a button!!

Jami said...

You had me at bacon! Yummm!!! Would love for you to stop by and share these at the Tuesday To Do Party! http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/06/tuesday-to-do-14-and-13-list-makers.html

Smiles!
Jami

Something Swanky Cupcakes and Desserts said...

I'd love for you to link this up to my Sweet Treats Party today! Hope to see you there,
Ashton
www.somethingswanky.com

mammaX5 said...

How many cupcakes does this make?

Katie said...

I made these today for a dad's night out and realized that your step 1 and step 3 are the same! oops! Hoping they are a hit tonight!!! Using your cake toppers too! Thanks for the printables!!!

Katie said...

These sound delish and look great!!! I found this post at Fireflies and Jellybeans link party. I'm your newest follower!

Katie from Katie's Cucina!

Julieanne said...

bacon cupcakes!!! I have always wanted to try a bacon cupcake. Not too long ago I made bacon pancakes for my husband :)

http://thecraftytulip.blogspot.com/2011/06/bacon-pancakes.html

The mum of all trades said...

i cannot imagine what these would taste like, but curiosity will make me make them to find out!

BMP said...

Can you please share how many cupcakes this makes? I'm looking forward to making these! Thanks!

Raegan said...

I got 12 cupcakes/muffins. They are in the oven now. I can't wait to try them tomorrow morning!

The Unfinished Room said...

I was just going to make these for dessert for Father's Day dinner and I had the bacon drippings cooling on the stove from breakfast. I came in to get the recipe and went back out to the kitchen and my dear hubby had thrown out the bacon drippings! Ugh! Guess I will try them another time. They look delish!

Sheena Anderson Planning said...

I used your printables for my husband's father's day celebration and I also made the cupcakes. He loved them! I posted a blog today and gave you credit but I wanted to share it with you. Thanks for the adorable prints and the great recipe.

http://sheenaandersonplanning.blogspot.com/2011/06/happy-fathers-day.html

Nemesis said...

These are insane but I bet my husband would love them. Will have to try them on a special occasion--thanks!

Jill @ KitchenFunWithMy3Sons.com said...

Such a great manly cupcake... Love this! We have our Kitchen Fun & Crafty link party up and would love for you to share this!
http://kitchenfunwithmy3sons.blogspot.com/2012/06/kitchen-fun-and-crafty-friday-link.html?m=1

Maria said...

How adorable!!! Love all the decorations, and those cupcakes sound really good! I've heard of Maple Bacon ice-cream, but never cupcakes - what a great idea, and perfect for Father's Day! Love it!

Aimee - ItsOverflowing.com said...

SUPER CUTE! Crossing my fingers you'll share at my party! Saturdays at Seven!

XO, Aimee

Malia said...

Hi Amanda, Found your Father's Day Post via Pinterest. You do amazing work! I would have NO CLUE how to do anything like the neat printables etc you make. Thank you for sharing! Also just had to tell you that I made these cupcakes tonight and they were divine. Too good actually ;) mahalo!
aloha, malia

florists online said...

Nicely presented information in this post, I prefer to read this kind of stuff. The quality of content is fine and the conclusion is fine.

Anonymous said...

Hermoso muchas gracias por los imprimibles y por la receta.