If you liked the chocolate covered Oreo "apples" teacher gift tutorial from yesterday, then you might want this little tutorial for the pencil vase, too. This project is so easy and quick, too. My kind of craft! And it's budget friendly as well which we all might need this time of year with all the back to school shopping we've got to do.
In a few simple steps, you can have your vase assembled in no time at all.
Step 1: Gather your supplies:
- Canned food with a pop top (or a can cut with a safety edge can opener)
- Florist foam or styrofoam
- 2 boxes of pencils
- FREEBIE BACK TO SCHOOL printables set (Print the "Welcome Back" tag and some green chevron design paper)
- Scallop or circle punch in 2" size
- Scissors and hot glue
- Empty out the contents of your canned food and save for another use. Wash and dry out the can and place a small piece of florist foam inside.
- Using a hot glue gun, place glue in a vertical line from the bottom to the top of your can and press one pencil into the glue, holding until the glue dries. Be sure not to skimp on the glue - you'll want your pencils to stay put.
- Repeat step 3 over and over again with more pencils until you've completely covered the can.
- Cut a strip of your printed green chevron paper into a "ribbon" to wrap around the pencils on your can. Fit it around the center of the pencils and hot glue in place.
- Punch out a "Welcome Back" tag with your 2" scallop or circle punch and hot glue it on top of your green chevron ribbon.
Now you're ready to place your apple Oreo pops inside the can or if you don't want to make the pops, you can always fill the can with flowers or another kind of treat. So simple and a great first impression to make on your child's new teacher. Enjoy!